Monday, June 11, 2012

This is the Beginning

Welcome everyone to the El Dorado Adventure. I am sharing this entire adventure so that others will follow us along our trip and that maybe it will inspire other people to connect with their family and embark on a trip to see this beautiful country!
Let me start by telling you a little about myself. My name is Anthony and i am a solider in the US Army. I am currently waiting on medical separation for a condition I developed called vaso-depressor syndrome which causes me to pass out if my heart rate gets to high or even if I am slightly dehydrated. I am married and I have a wonderful one year old daughter named Madilyn. My beautiful wife Erica is also 6 weeks pregnant with our second child.
Well that's a little about me now here is my mission. A few months ago we made probably one of the dumbest decisions ever and we purchased the El Dorado. We bought it thinking it would not take us long to renovate some of the the damage on this motor home which was built in 1976. Well on the way home the motor home broke down and at that point we knew that this was going to be a bigger project than we had bargained for.
In the end we hope to take the El Dorado back across country when we move back from Tennessee to Washington state. Right now it might not make it down the block.


It has been slow going for renovations on the RV. Between caring for a toddler and my disability I can only get out there and work for a few hours at a time. The other thing that has held us back is the budget. We are not very well off and being that I will be losing my job soon and we will be relocating back accross country we need to be trying to put some money in the bank.



So far we have made some good steps in the El Dorado. We were able to finish all the demo work of the water damaged wood in the kitchen and the bathroom as well as the damage above the cab. It was a lot of damage more than I had expected. I was able to rip everything down to the studs and remove all the old insulation.


The next thing we got completed was to repair the floor joists and add in some extra bracing just for a little piece of mind. Some family came into town and was able to help us get this knocked out and we even got some of the floor insulated and put back down the kitchen piece.
The next project on the table is to finish above the cab so that that is all re paneled and we can use it for storage or for a bed. Then after that we will be doing the finishing touches which means some laminate flooring, some carpet, and some paint on the walls to brighten it up.
I hope that you will continue to follow us along our journey and maybe even help us along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment